Do you want to come up with an effective waste management solution? Have you also been searching for a solution but haven’t found an answer yet? This article covers in detail an effective way to manage waste and all the information related to it.
What are Waste Skips?
Waste skips or dumpsters (as known in other parts of the world) are large waste containers. They are specially made for carrying waste materials. These are usually open-topped and are loaded on a special type of lorry or truck. They are a bit heavy but are strong in construction to carry large amounts of waste materials. Waste skips are longitudinal trapezoids with a small edge for easy loading. This gives them a distinct look and shape. They have both single and double-stacked options available. Double stacked skips have a smaller edge on the upper trapezoid.
The waste skips go on special lorries. The skips have lugs on each side to which chains are attached. They are loaded on and off the lorries with the help of these chains. This is necessary as the skips are heavy. The waste skips come in sizes ranging from 2-yard mini skips to the very large 40-yard skips.
Waste skips are a good way of managing waste materials. They are a common sight in both developed and developing nations such as the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar, etc. Instead of throwing garbage away in empty plots, putting them in waste skips is a much better option. It not only keeps the area clean but also ensures easy waste disposal.
What are the different types of Waste Skips?
Following are the different types of waste skips:
- Open Skips: They open on the top side. This design comes in handy as it ensures easy loading of waste materials. Such kinds of waste skips are more commonly found on construction sites.
- Closed Skips: They come with closed tops. Although not as convenient as open skips, they offer more security. Since they cannot be filled past their maximum limit, they are more secure. They also prevent unauthorized access. They are suitable for commercial usage.
- Roll-On / Roll-Off (RORO) Skips: They are similar in construction to open skips with one difference. Instead of being lifted, they are rolled onto a wagon. Such types of waste skips are more suitable for industrial usage.
- Mobile Skips: Such types of waste dumpsters are set on a four-wheeled trailer. These dumpsters use a lifting mechanism for loading and offloading from the trailer.
Usually, lorries can carry a maximum of 8 tons (8,000 kg) of material in the dumpster. For reference, a typical small-sized dumpster weighs about 250 kilograms (550 lb.). The waste skips are compliant with International Safety Laws. For countries with strict laws such as Dubai, the USA, and the Middle Eastern countries, waste skips are a good law-compliant waste management option. Open waste skips come with a line etched on their outer surface. This is there to talk about the maximum safe loading limit. It is not only important for the skip itself, but for the passers-by as well. If loaded to the brink of the dumpster, waste can fall over and potentially hurt people around.
What size variations do Waste Skips come in?
Depending on their usage, waste skips come in the following size variations:
- Small-sized dumpsters: They are usually around 2 – 4 cubic yards in size. They have an approximate waste carrying capacity of 40 black bags. These dumpsters are used in domestic jobs. Domestic waste is collected from the dustbins that lie around the city in domestic areas. The waste is then taken to garbage sites where it is further sorted and then disposed of properly. Domestic waste usually includes food waste, plastics, textiles, glass, etc.
- Medium-sized dumpsters: They are usually around 6 – 8 cubic yards in size. They have an approximate waste carrying capacity of 70 – 80 black bags. These dumpsters are used in construction jobs since they are larger in size. This type of waste is different from domestic waste. It includes wood, bricks, metal, coal, etc.
- Large-sized dumpsters: They are usually around 12 – 16 cubic yards in size. They are heavy and durable in construction. They are made this way to carry heavy industrial waste. They are used in Roll-On / Roll-Off skips. Industrial waste includes masonry, concrete, gravel, chemicals, etc.
Where can waste Skips be used?
Waste skips have a wide range of applications. They are used to carry a variety of materials. Depending on their size, waste skips are used in different areas. Waste skips are used as an effective waste management tool all around the world. Listed below are some of the areas where they can be used:
- Construction waste collection: Construction waste includes but is not limited to coal, tar, wood, plastics, insulation materials, etc.
- Demolition waste collection: This type of waste includes metal, wood, and insulation waste covered in paints, fasteners, adhesives, etc.
- Garden waste collection: It includes grass cuttings, weeds, dead flowers, fallen fruit, etc.
- Clean out waste collection: Usually, this includes dirty rags, domestic waste, etc.
- Factories waste/material collection: This type of waste generally falls in the category of Industrial waste. This can include masonry, concrete, gravel, chemicals, etc.
In addition to waste collection jobs, these dumpsters prove effective in other areas as well. They can be used in containing large amounts of material, organizing the clutter, etc. In some areas, dumpsters are used for storing material until it can be used again. This is done especially in places with storage and area issues.
In some developing / under-developed countries, a weak waste management system is a big issue. They lack the infrastructure to ensure effective waste management. In such places, waste skips can play a crucial part. Instead of throwing garbage elsewhere, dedicated waste skip sites can help in cleaning the environment clean. Filled-up dumpsters can, later, be emptied for continued future use.
Apart from underdeveloped countries, some developed countries also go through waste management issues. Middle Eastern countries such as Qatar, Oman, Bahrain, etc. are going through a similar issue. It can be because of multiple reasons, some are narrowed down and listed below:
- Lack of waste disposal sites
- High generation of waste
Studies have shown that a fast-growing population has rapidly increased the rate of annual waste generation. With a growing population, more waste disposal sites are required to counter waste management issues. The Middle East alone witnesses an Annual Waste Generation of 150 million tons. To address these issues, waste skip hires are a good place to get started with the solution to the problem.
Benefits of Waste Skips:
The use of waste skips has a lot of benefits. They are discussed below:
- They are a cost-effective means of waste management.
- They are safe.
- Many countries have strict waste management laws. Waste skips ensure compliance with all domestic and international laws.
- Since they can be easily moved, they are very convenient to use.
- They help in recycling.
Why skip hires are important?
- Waste management plays a crucial role in keeping the environment healthy. Places that have waste lying all around are the breeding places for different diseases. Availing the services of skip hires ensures a clean and healthy environment
- Landfills of waste in domestic areas are an awful sight. Skip hires keep everything neat and tidy by collecting waste in their dumpsters.
What kinds of waste materials are allowed to be put in the dumpsters?
Waste dumpsters are used for domestic, construction, and industrial waste jobs. However, there are some materials that are prohibited to carry in a dumpster. They are as follows:
- Human and animal waste
- Hazardous liquids
- Gas bottles
- Electronic waste
- Fluorescent waste
These types of waste materials can prove to be biohazardous. Furthermore, they can be dangerous for the lorry they are being carried in. They should be properly addressed and taken care of.
What does Al-Safrik Steel offer?
Al-Safrik Steel uses the best quality materials to manufacture Waste Skips in UAE. We make sure you get the best quality waste skips. High-grade materials used in our waste skips ensure ultra-durability which means they last longer. We have all sorts of waste skips that fit your needs and purposes. Do you need a waste skip in Dubai for industrial usage? We have it. Do you need waste skips in the Middle East for domestic usage? We have a wide range of skips for all sorts of jobs. Get your ultra-durable skips now.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I overload a waste dumpster?
Everyone should follow the maximum safe limit etched on the skip itself. The maximum safe limit is there to ensure your safety as well as the people around you.
Can I put mixed waste in a skip?
Mixed waste can be put in a waste skip. However, does not mean you should. Different types of waste skips are made for the type of material they can carry. If you are using the right type of skip for the right waste, you are good to go.
Can I put electrical items in the skip?
Electrical items or appliances such as fridges, and freezers fall in the category of prohibited waste. They cannot be put in a waste skip.
How long can I keep my waste skip?
On average, skip hires proved them for up to seven days. They can however be provided for more time. Contact your waste skip provider in case you want them for a longer period.
Visit our Instagram now for more information.